Monday, July 19, 2010

The Scorpion and the Frog

Once upon a time, there lived a scorpion and a frog.  As the frog sat in the warm sun on the bank of a stream, along came a scorpion who wanted to cross to the other side.  He scuttled up to the frog and asked, "Please, Mr. Frog, can you carry me across the stream on your back?"

"I could," replied the frog, "but I must refuse; as you will probably sting me as I swim across."

"But, why would I do that?"  asked the scorpion.  "If I were to sting you, you would die and I would drown."

Now, the frog knew a thing or two about scorpions, and how lethal they were.  But on the other hand, the scorpion had made a point and the point made sense.  So the frog agreed.  The scorpion climbed onto his back, and together they set off across the stream.  About the time they reached the middle of the crossing, the scorpion stung the frog.  Mortally wounded, the frog cried out,  "Why did you sting me?  It's not in your interests to sting me, because now I will die and you will drown."

"I know," replied the scorpion, as he sank into the stream.  "But, you see, I am a scorpion.  I have to sting you.  It's in my nature."

Just as it is natural for the scorpion to sting the frog, it is natural for man to want to avoid change - because change is uncomfortable.  In fact, when we are suffering, if change requires an effort on our part, we'll try to make our suffering more comfortable.  We'll even change our self-talk to keep from becoming uncomfortable.  How many times have you heard someone justify their comfort level?

The fact of the matter is, we need to get comfortable with getting uncomfortable - in order to change anything.

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice ... get busy living or get busy dying." 
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

5 comments:

  1. This is just like the coaches say we must get uncomfortable. We must make choose to want it or it will never happen. In order to get uncomfortable we must be willing to change are self for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to what Coach Schultz said when we were finishing out warm up around the track, for the most part we haven't made that commitment to being uncomfortable. I for one try to get as uncomfortable as possible during weightroom, but I found myself disappointed that I was slacking off on the warmup. It's enough with everyone telling someone else to get uncomfortable, we have to get on ourselves and light that fire from within. But don't get me wrong, I know we've come a long way, but we can go much, much further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole uncomfortable thing has been repeated to us for most of the past year. It is a lesson we must learn if we want to be great as a team. We need to strive to push ourselves to a whole new level, but we also have to pull our teammates with us on our attempt to better ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can think of reading this is the quote from Al Pacino in his Inches speech.
    "I'll tell you this in any fight it is the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that inch. And I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch because that is what LIVING is."

    ReplyDelete